Friday, January 16, 2009

Ways to Show I Care

Of late I have endeavored to be mindful of letting others know I care about them. In fact tonight Kent and my dinner discussion was centered around how important it is for people to feel cared for. I think the little ways are so many times the ones that matter most to people.

Sanguine people come quite natural with the warm fuzzies of life. However, I am really quite a long way from being sanguine. I wont tell you my personality type but I'm pretty sure many of you know I am not sanguine. I enjoy sanguines they are usually the life of the party. My sister, Vicki, is sanguine and I have lots of sanguine friends. They can cry the most tears, laugh the hardest, tell the biggest tale, and keep the biggest crowd around them. They are quite interesting to engage in conversation. Well, usually they engage me in conversation since they enjoy talking more.

Though I am an avid blogger I can hide behind this monitor rather than 'talk'! Writing comes a little easier for me. Regardless, I really do deeply care for people and I want to make sure I show it. I have been searching for creative ways to express myself. I also realize what is appealing to some may not be appealing to others so I need to expand my ways of showing I care. Following are some ways to show concern for others:

Notice them
Smile at them
Encourage them
Look them in the eye when Italk to them
Check on them when they are sick
Ask them about themselves
Allow them to be themselves
Let them tell me how they feel
Listen to them
Call them on the phone just to say hi
Answer their questions
Ask them their opinions
Give them my undivided attention
Believe in them
Tell them what I like or enjoy about them
Delight in their success
Tolerate their mistakes
Show up at their special events
Express how I enjoy being with them
Tell them about me
Help them take a stand and stand with them
Ask them to help me with something
Send them a letter, postcard, email, or text
Introduce them to my friends and family
Make time to be with them
Be excited when I see them
Remember their birthdays
Believe in them
Meet their friends and family
Include them in conversations
Laugh at their jokes
Do things together
Respect them
Find a common interest
Share a meal together
Spend time with them
Ask for their input in things I am planning
Share with them my plans
Help them learn something new
Be honest with them
Encourage them to help others
Love them when they make mistakes
Always be kind to them

While normally posts on this site are directed towards being kind and considerate in the confines of my home and yours, I realize if I am kind and considerate toward my family and friends inside my home I will also be kind and considerate outside my home. This year I will be more careful to exhibit care and concern for others. I will not allow my personality type, circumstances, conflicts, nor work load prohibit me from doing what I know is important to me and God.

Friends, family, acquaintances, and strangers know I CARE. I want to express my care this year in many ways. I pray not only my love will flow but also the LOVE of Christ which is a most perfect love. I will not make excuses nor allow anything to separate me from His love. Therefore, when I am connected to His Love so shall everyone feel it from me.

Blessings for a weekend with those you love.....

3 comments:

Yvette said...

Great post Sis Smith!!!

You've inspired me to step out of my "little box" and do a little more!

Love you!!!

KAN said...

Good thoughts for all of us. Even the most sanguine among us needs a gentle reminder that it really isn't "all about me".

However, having been in many meetings and having had many phone calls between the two of us, I would dare say that you DO know how to "express yourself" quite well.

(Smile, Smile, Smile!!!)

Karen J. Hopper said...

Loved this post. Caring goes a long way, doesn't it?