Monday, June 8, 2009

Pineapple Upside Down Cupcakes


The following recipe sounds so yummy! It was sent to me by my friend, Susy Roen. These mini pineapple upside down cakes would be great served at a brunch or gathering.

20 oz can Pineapple chunks
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup melted butter
1 cup all purpose flour
¾ cup sugar
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
¼ cup butter, softened
1 egg


Preheat the oven to 350°. Spray muffin tin (12 count)

Drain 1 20 oz. can of pineapple chunks, reserving 1/2 cup juice for the batter. Place chunks on double layer of paper towels to drain completely.

In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar and melted butter. Divide this mixture evenly between the muffin pan cups. Arrange the pineapple chunks on top of the mixture (3 or 4 chunks per cup works well).

In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar and baking powder. With an electric mixer, mix in softened butter and reserved pineapple juice, beating for 2 minutes to make a smooth batter. Beat in egg.

Spoon the batter over the pineapple and sugar mixture filling each cup about 3/4 full. Bake in oven approximately 20 minutes or until tooth pick comes out clean. The cupcakes will be a golden brown color. Wait for 5 minutes or so to cool and invert onto a sheet of foil. They should come out easily

NOTE: I would probably add a maraschino cherry, drained to the center of the muffin tin when adding the pineapple. I think it would make the cupcakes pretty! Also, I like to dust these type mini-cakes with confectioners sugar when serving. Of course the image I found appears to use coconut and ice cream, not a bad choice either!

I can't wait to try these! If you try them post a comment to let me know how they turn out. I bet they will be scrumptious!

2 comments:

Yvette said...

YUMMY!!! I was wanting to bake something today with pineapple, but did not... I'm glad because I believe I will make these yummy looking goodies tomorrow! :) Love you!!!

Karen J. Hopper said...

Oh how yummy! My son loves pine/upside down cake - this will be perfect.