Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Holiday Planning

Parties, family gatherings, romantic dinners for the immediate family, game nights, shopping nights, practices, church, how do we juggle life and enjoy the holidays? Simply put it will require some strategic organization and planning. There are more fun things to do than there will be available evenings and weekends.

Organize, plan, schedule
For starters grab a calendar and put all the necessary items on the appropriate dates. You know the church program practices, banquet, small group parties, etc. Don't forget to mark family and company parties, too. Include a target date to finalize the Christmas Cards. Year around maintain an address list (I prefer using Microsoft Excel). This will make your holidays easier. Cards can be signed and envelopes addressed while sitting at the dentist or waiting on your part at play practice.

Lights, trees, décor….
Think about the finished result you want for your decorated Christmas abode. Create a place to display a few memories. While my husband jests that I make floral arrangements rather than Christmas trees, I do endeavor to maintain memories from the past. Mom gives all the grandchildren a Christmas ornament each year. She tries to depict their age or personalities the year she presents the ornament. The year they are married they receive a special ornament to honor the momentous occasion. For the past couple of years I have decorated our upstairs tree using these ornaments. Additionally, I have the many ornaments constructed during art classes in elementary school. Yes, some are construction paper. I cherish each memory. Redonia has grown to love the ‘memory tree’, too.

Gifting/budgeting…
Establish your budget for gifting. Then establish a list for whom you will purchase gifts & gift suggestion/ideas. Try to beat your budget. If you establish a $25 range for nieces and nephews think of the $25 value but make it a game to only spend $15 or $20. It works for me most every time! Don’t add to the gifts just to spend your money. Ok, Mom that hint was just for you! Those grandkids won’t know the difference and we parents don’t care! Be southern about giving remember it’s not how big the gift but rather the gift was carefully planned and purchased or made with love. It’s obvious when a gift is given from the heart versus grudgingly given. If you plan and organize this year Christmas does not have to be a chore. In our part of the world lines are long and parking lots are full. Don’t make unnecessary trips. Plan…organize…think!

You still have to eat…
Plan simple meal times to avoid stress. Soups, stews, and salads make great easy meals. This can be made ahead if desired. They are great for leftovers after, too. Keep cornbread mixes. Hot bread and sweet tea makes a complete meal for soups or stews.

Do aheads…
Gather recipes a head of time. I store mine electronically on my laptop. This makes it easy to cut and paste into Word documents for shopping lists, too! Think towards the holidays and begin gathering spices, sugars, chocolates, and nuts for all the holiday baking. Go ahead and pick up parchment paper, too. A few good staples to keep on hand for the holidays are apple juice and mulling spice mix for a quick spiced hot drink, maintain a few cookies and homemade candies, too. These make easy desserts for meal times or place a few pieces on a disposable tray to take to the office or holiday gathering. Bell peppers and onions can be chopped and frozen for future use.

Taper candles can be purchased ahead of time for those candlelit dinners. Go ahead and freeze them to avoid the drips. Leave frozen until just before guests arrive. Don't forget to trim the wicks!

Gather all your gift wrap supplies ahead of time. Keep scissors, tape, tags, tissue, ribbons, wrap, and embellishments in storage container in a central location for the entire family’s use.

Give of yourself...
Remember give freely during the holidays. Share baked goods. Annually I share homemade goods with the families of CUPC at the close of our Thanksgiving Service. Though the individual family gift may be small it is my simple way of sharing my love and appreciation. Hot chocolate mixes, spiced crackers and pretzels, chocolate dipped pretzels, homemade jelly, candies, cookies, and strawberry bread are a few of the items I have made and distributed. This tradition began our first year of starting the church. Now with more than 60 families and 17 Thanksgivings later the tradition continues. For Christmas CUPC is hosting a toy drive for our outreach kids. We will create a family Christmas morning with all these children at the close of service Sunday, December 21st. I have visions of all the gift wrap thrown across the altar area. It will be great. Our church will be blessed by sharing!

This is only a small list to get you thinking. Why not make a pledge to yourself to enjoy the holidays and minimize stress this year? Careful planning can make the holidays more enjoyable for all.

My goal...
Hopefully this site will be a blessing during the holiday season and through out the years to come. Recipes, etiquette, decor ideas, and party attire ideas will be shared. Proper table setting is a must for any gathering even if it's a simple dinner for the immediate family. Tips and styles will be give soon.

Romans 10:10-13 Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another; Not slothful in business; fervent in spirit; serving the Lord; Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer; Distributing to the necessity of saints; given to hospitality

I Timothy
3:2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober,of good behaviour, given to; hospitality,
apt to teach;

10 comments:

Deadra's Dialogue said...

Great tips...I look forward to more....

Yvette said...

Great advise from a Great leader!!! Thanks for sharing your knowledge!!!

Love you!!!

Karen Prince said...

I love it! You had a great secret....but I noticed you just couldn't keep it 'till tomorrow!!!
Looking forward to reading all of your southern hospitality ideas.

Amy said...

Love it, Love it! Thank you for the good ideas and advice :)
Amy

Misti Ferguson said...

This is awesome! I know I'll refer to it alot!

Keith and Carla said...

LOL! I was wanting to see how long you could keep your "secret." It didn't last long.

By the way, do you really freeze candles to keep them from dripping? I've never heard of that one. Thanks for the tip.

Tracie Smith said...

Thanks everyone!!!! Carla and Karen, I held it in so long I thought I would burst. lol

Yes, Carla, freezing the candles really does work. By the way I always save white pillar candles and use over and over again. The melt within. You can clean them sparkling clean as well as buff away scratches with a hose or stocking. I did so for Trent and Calah's rehearsal dinner. Ck out my other blog in June for rehearsal dinner pics. You would have never known! :)

Ok if any of you get tips or great info email me and I'll be happy to post along the way!

Love to all....

Kathy McElhaney said...

As a California girl, married to a Tennessee boy, I love southern hospitality! My visits to the South are some of my most cherished times (we ate at Paula Deen's last year) and I'm looking forward to all you have to offer.

Anonymous said...

ok, you are WAY too organized for me!!!!!! But, great ideas, pointers and of course, I'll be back to see what other ideas I can "take" from you....

love you
k

Anonymous said...

Karen Kay Hackfeld, girl you are just as organized.......anyone that plans their menus for the week or maybe even the month and don't vary from it....mmmm I call that pretty organized. And your house is always decorated for the season. You are one of the best making lasting memories for our grandson Jake!
I love all this, as you kids already know. By the way hope to see you guys during Thanksgiving, I know it is your time with in-laws but we want to see you too.
Love you girl, Grammy/Mom