Monday, November 17, 2008

Turkey

I confess I'm southern but picky...how did that happen???? The simple answer is it's Mom's fault. It's her fault because she didn't feed me everything when I was an infant and/or toddler. It's also her fault because she is a cook extraordinare. Just any food will not do!

I'm not a big turkey fan. I do enjoy it smoked and fried. Otherwise I can't tolerate most people's turkey. If I am going to eat turkey it has to be Mom's. Turkey tends to be dry especially the turkey breast and I detest dark meat. Following is a recipe Mom began using when I was a little girl. It is really good. Try it I'm pretty sure you will like it!!!

Mom’s 1 Hour Roasted Turkey

Up to a 20 lb turkey MUST BE COMPLETELY THAWED all giblets removed
1 stick of butter
Salt & Pepper
1 Quart VERY HOT water

Preheat the oven to 500` F. Place the turkey, breast side up, (leave feet tied together) in a large roasting pan. Rub the butter on the outside and in the cavity of the turkey. Sprinkle salt and pepper on inside and on the outside of the turkey.
Pour the HOT water into the pan. Cover with a tight fitting lid and put the pan in the PREHEATED OVEN (must be preheated to 500).

After closing the oven door allow the oven temperature to return to 500 degress and bake the turkey for exactly one hour. Then turn off the oven. ONCE THE TURKEY IS PLACED IN THE OVEN DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DOOR FOR ATLEAST 6 HOURS. Leave the turkey in the oven until the oven cools, about 6 hours. Once you open the oven the turkey will be moist and golden brown.

Hint: Mom cooks her turkey around 11 pm the night before she plans to serve it. She goes to bed and the next morning she wakes up to a beautifully roasted, moist turkey. She then anxiously awaits Kent to carve the turkey. He does it so pretty!

The recipe makes a delicious turkey! You will never cook the old, long drawn out way again. The only time in 38 years Mom’s turkey was not totally done when she got up. Was when she baked a turkey which was NOT completely thawed. Of course that one time she had to cook it a little longer the next morning. She suggests finish thawing the turky in a sink filled with water the day you plan to cook the turkey.

Ok, I've only prepared the recipe a couple of times. There really isn't a reason for me to cook it because Mom does such a wonderful job. Thank you, Mom, for sending it for all the readers to enjoy. If you have questions just leave a comment. Mom will check back often and reply!!! Ok, Mother, don't let all our friends down....

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sis. Smith,
I love your new Hospitality blog. You've inspired me with new ideas.
Love,
Rachel Hill

Katrina Holmes (Tina) said...

I love this blog and I'll have to try this recipe this year! Thanks for sharing.

Jewel said...

I am going to cook my turkey like this, this year, Sis. Smith. I have a question: Do you leave the turkey covered the entire time? And does it have to be a lid? Can it be covered tightly with foil?

Anonymous said...

Jewel, yes leave it covered the whole time. I have never used foil but possibly if it is heavy,maybe doubled and covered tightly would be fine. I use a really "old" blue speckled roasting pan with lid. Cooking it this way makes a wonderful moist turkey and from being rubbed with butter or margarine all over makes it so pretty and golden brown.
Hope yours turns out as good as mine has for almost 40 years now.

Happy Thanksgiving!!!
Shirley Patrick

Anonymous said...

Aunt Shirley, thank you for sharing your turkey recipe. I've heard Mother talk about this before but I've never tried it. Sounds so easy too!
Thanks again Tracie
Love you both,
Lisa Hagan

Anonymous said...

Yall's Grandmother Thomas is who I got this recipe from. someone she worked with at the hospital gave it to her. I may have been the only one in the family brave enough to try it, I can't remember.
It is really good. I got my free turkey today from Krogers it only weighed 15 lbs. I have cooked from 12 lbs up to a 20 + lb one the same way and perfect every time. Just make sure thawed completely and lid is on, and do not open oven until cooled completly. I do mine late and leave all night. Makes your house smell wonderful through out the night. YUMMY..... Will be thinking about you this time of the year, I know it is hard since your dad died also in November. The Thomas family has had their share of deaths in the fall. One thing for sure though when all were alive we sure had wonderful Holidays and lots of good southern food on the Ingram side and Thomas. All you cousins were something else!
love you, A Shirley

Anonymous said...

Tried this recipe today as a test run for Thanksgiving. It was just as great as you said. I will be cooking our Thanksgiving turkey this way. This is by far the easiest way to cook a turkey. Thank you.