Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Back 2 School Ideas

While I don't have small children Back 2 School time is a busy time for me. Our church has a large successful school. Additionally, annually CUPC hosts a Back 2 School Bash where we distribute school supplies. Thus, I am very much aware of the time of the year.

I remember buying school supplies and uniforms. I attempted to make the supplies a fun part of our year. Once we returned from shopping we would sit in the floor, open packages, and fill pencil pouches and notebooks. Then we would nicely arrange things in backpacks. This was so much fun. Wow the memories!

Once the children returned to school I would often send lunches and snacks from home. I enjoyed finding cute napkins and including them in the kid's lunchboxes. I remember when Trent was in maybe 2nd grade finding some football shaped napkins. The first time I sent it he came home all excited. He asked that I send extras the next day because some of his buddies wanted one, too. Redonia loved sweet tarts. Occasionally a random pkg sent for a snack made her day. Kent and I would write little notes and put in their lunch boxes, too. I remember even in Junior High or High School Kent writing a note and placing it in Redonia's notebook. Of course the school is on the church campus. She found her dad later in the day and gave him a big hug and soft smile. We began the practice of putting notes in their lunch boxes in pre-k or kindergarten. Hence, Redonia has always been one to leave a note especially for her Dad.

Other lunch box favorites were heart shaped sandwiches for Redonia. I cut bread using cookie cutters. Trent liked footballs and circles. We made rice krispie treats cut them in thick rectangles, inserted popsicle sticks, dipped them in chocolate bark and garnished with sprinkles.

Sometimes we made kolaches (pigs in blankets for you non-Texans) and sent them for the entire class for a quick breakfast. We poured cupcake batter in ice cream cones and baked ice cream cupcakes. The kids helped me decorate these like ice cream cones (frosted thickly and coated with sprinkles or candies) We took those for their classmates, too.

Back 2 School time should be faced with a smile and not a dread. Moms, don't leave creativity to the child's teacher to encourage a love for school. I believe the love for school needs to begin at home. Involve yourself in school functions and parties. From the time my children were in preschool - high school I sent something for each child's class parties. Being busy, working, etc is not an excuse. You may not be able to make the party but you can send for the party.

Once our school administrator was told by a parent I am too busy to participate since I'm a pastor's wife. Since we have had several pastor's children enrolled in our school I'm brave enough to state this! lol Our administrator was appalled that this mom was too busy for her children. Moms, regardless to your calling or schedule your children must know you support them. We've had to be out of town on occasion for events. I would purchase a big bag of candy, paper goods, or something ahead for the party. I used this as a teaching time for my children. Too many people like to show up at a party and give little or no effort to contributing. Many times we made goodie bags for Christmas or Valentines for Redonia and Trent to distribute to their friends. Not only did we make wonderful memories and have fun but I endeavored to teach the children the joy in giving to others.

Moms, don't view back to school as a bad time. Of course some view it as a good time to get rid of the children. How sad is that? This should simply be another time to used to have fun, make memories, and train children.

3 comments:

Amber H said...

I just have one thing to say about those kolaches.. In my year at CCS I never got any.. whats up with that? :)

Tracie Smith said...

Poor Amber you came too late and didn't stay long enough! You did get fudge @ parties and goodie bags, too. lol Redonia insisted on breakfast for her friends during 4 thru about 6th grade....we did lots of sausage balls, too!

C u 2nite!!! Love you so much1

Anonymous said...

Awesome ideas!! Thank you once again for being an inspiration!!