Friday, April 17, 2009

Mocha Punch

Today Kent and I attended the Texas Bible College Reception in Lufkin. We enjoyed visiting with friends and family. Knowing we were going to have lunch immediately following the reception I chose only a cookie and a drink. Mom insisted I try the 'chocolate punch'. Wow! What a wonderful punch! Knowing Pat McInnis, the Food Service Manager, I made myself at home and wandered into the kitchen in search of her. I explained I LOVED the punch and asked if she would share the recipe.

Girlfriends, this punch is amazing!!!! It is a milkshake texture but has a ever so faint coffee flavor. I love frappuccinos but this is better than any I've ever had. Beside the punch bowl twere cans of whipping cream for garnish. I would probably feel the need to invest in a fancy whipping cream dispenser that uses the nitrous oxide chargers from Sur La Table. I struggled with the red can sitting on the table beside a punch bowl. I know that is weird but it just 'bothered' me.

1 1/2 quarts water
1/2 cup instance choclate drink mix (Swiss Mix for hot choc or similar)
1/2 sugar
1/4 cup instant coffee granules
1/2 gallon vanilla ice cream
1/2 gallon chocolate ice cream
whipped cream, optional for topping individual cups

In large saucepan, bring water to boil. Remove from heat. Add drink mix, sugar, and coffee. Stir until dissolved. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hrs or overnight.

20 - 30 minutes prior to serving pour drink mix into punch bowl. Add ice cream by scoopfuls. Stir until partially melted.

Guests can garnish with whipped cream if desired

Yield approx 20 - 25 servings (5 qts)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This was the BEST.........I am not a chocolate, coffee mixed person, but I promise this was so GOOD!!!
Can't wait for an occasion to make this or Tracie you make it for us.

love,
Mom