Monday, May 25, 2009

Southern Dinner Menu

Good Lord willing and the creek doesn't rise following will be my dinner menu for tomorrow night. It just sounds simply SOUTHERNLY delish! (granted to be totally southern I'd fry the chicken)

Grilled or Baked Chicken
Red Potatoes N Onions
Fresh Cream Style Corn
Purple Hull Peas
Sweet Cornbread
Ice Cold Watermelon

For the chicken remove the skin from chicken breasts. Then season heavily with Italian Seasoning. I'll either grill or bake @ 350 degrees for 45 minutes - 1 hour.

For the Red Potatoes select the smallest (new) red potatoes you can find. Scrub the peelings and then slice rather large. Melt one stick of margarine in a skillet and saute thinly sliced white onion rings. Add the potato slices. Add salt and coarse ground black pepper to taste. Cook until tender over medium low heat.

My recipe for FRESH cream style corn follows in a previous post. Scroll down and enjoy!

Of course I prefer fresh from the garden Purple Hull Peas. When that isn't possible I purchase frozen NEVER canned Purple Hulls. Cover with water, add 3 - 4 slices of raw bacon. Season with lots of salt and black pepper to taste. These peas require lots of salt for some reason. Cook over medium heat until tender (about 1 hour).

I cheat on my cornbread. I purchase 2 Cornkit packages. I prepare according to package direction EXCEPT add 1/3 cup of sugar. While oven is preheating to package temperature melt 1 stick of margarine in an iron skillet. Once melted pour cornbread mixture over melted margarine in skillet. Do not mix the melted & cornbread mixture. Bake until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. The cornbread will be crusty and pull away from the edges of skillet. Immediately invert onto dinner plate or platter. Serve with butter....Yummy!!!

During the summer we keep watermelon in the refrigerator. It's just a great refreshing snack for a TEXAS hot Summer day. It's a great Summer dessert, too!

1 comment:

Dirk said...

I chanced upon to view your blog and found it very interesting. Great ... Keep it up!