Monday, February 9, 2009

Cupcake Week

Ok this is it...I declare this week cupcake week! Friday night enroute to meet someone for dinner I told Kent that I have been craving a cupcake. Saturday night I did enjoy a cupcake at a party at my sister, Kristi's, home. Then this morning Kent told me that I must go to my blogging friend, Karen Hopper's, blog. Ahhhhhhhh cupcakes!!!!

I wish I had small children to help me enjoy baking cupcakes. Redonia, Trent and I certainly baked many cupcakes. I remember dragging out the colored sugars, gel icings, sprinkles, and candies for the kids to decorate the freshly baked treats. Often one color of icing wouldn't do. One child would insist on one color while the other would firmly protest another color. Normally in these cases the food coloring would be brought out and we would do two or three colors of icing.

Another great variety to our traditional cupcakes was baking them in ice cream cones. Of course these would be frosted with either pink or chocolate icing to resemble strawberry or chocolate ice cream. Of course these cupcakes would be decorated with assorted sprinkles.

Cupcakes have always been a southern tradition. Of late cupcake shops are making a popular come back across America. Unfortunately, we don't have one in Conroe. I am blessed to live in the Houston Metro and I know of two such shops in Houston. Maybe just maybe I will make it by one of them this week! yummmmm One is Sugarbaby's Cupcake Boutique and the other is Crave Cupcakes.

I do have a cupcake stand, cupcake pans, and probably most everything to make some delicious cupcakes. My only lacking ingredient is a little girl to enjoy the fun. I'm sure Redonia would love to use her artistic abilities to help but there is simply nothing like the twinkle in a little girl's eye as she puts the finishing decorating touches on a cupcake. Then to watch her bite into her first decorated cupcake with a smile and a little bit of icing left on her lips. Maybe I will borrow my niece, Madeline this week. If so I'll be sure to post a few pics for all to enjoy.

Happy Cupcake Week....it's not official...it's just what I've been craving!

2 comments:

Karen J. Hopper said...

Happy Cupcake Week! You've made me want more than one now; however I would do better baking some if my grandchildren lived close by. Well, must hush and get to baking.

Vicki said...

I love cupcakes! Here is a neat tip for Valentine's Day (making heart shaped cupcakes with a regular pan)

To create the heart shape, place a small marble or a 1/2-inch ball of aluminum foil between each liner and one side of the tin (a great job for kids). This will push the paper into the batter to form the notch in the heart.