Friday, February 13, 2009

Valentine's Day Idea

Often Valentine's Day encompasses the popular ideas of flowers, chocolates, or going out to eat. While the femine side of us enjoys these things what about going beyond the normal or the expected? First off, as a Pastor's wife having talked to many couples or even only 'one side' of the couple let me say it's important to talk about things that the opposite in the relationship would enjoy.

While Kent may surprise me with 'what' we do or 'what' he gives me we normally discuss some ideas. This year I received a very sweet note telling me some ideas that he was considering. The note itself was really a great part of my Valentine's gift. I still enjoy receiving loving notes after almost 27 years of marriage and one year of talking/letter writing/dating. We are going to dinner tonight which is our normal for a Friday night. For Valentine's, however, he suggested doing something different. He said the day was mine...that is the best gift - spending a day together! We've decided to TRY to sleep until 7:00 or 8:00 am. Then we'll enjoy a lite breakfast at home. We are then going to take a little road trip. We haven't decided the destination. We may go west through the countryside or south to Galveston. We talked about not doing the fancy meal but rather enjoying a quaint lunch along the way. Then of course we will find coffee and dessert along the way. I love just being with him!

A fun idea is to pack a picnic and enjoy the beautiful outdoors with the one you love. What about beginning the day with coffee or breakfast in bed? Going to have manicures and pedicures together is fun, too. What about preparing a romantic table and atmosphere at home and cooking dinner together?

I truly would urge that Valentine's Day not be pressured to spend a lot of money on someone. Though giving expensive gifts may be nice love can never be bought. I think the most important part of Valentine's Day is expressing our love to those we love.

I think this Valentine's has meant more to me than any other. I have endeavored to show others that I LOVE them. I was blessed to show a great group of single adults @ CUPC with a small snack gift bag that I love them. I have given two people special to me flowers this week. I shared my day yesterday with my sisters. There is something great that happens within when I endeavor to show others that I love them.

Girls, I become frustrated when it is perceived that the husband is the one that is suppose to do all the work and giving on Valentine's Day. What a shame! Kent is MY valentine. I want to express my love to him on Valentine's and every day. I am not some little princess that he has to bestow good gifts upon. Rather I am his help mate his soul mate and we share our love one to another. I want to express my love to him just as he expresses his love to me.

This year Trent will enjoy his first Valentine's Day as a married man. I hope he learned well from Kent and me the way to enjoy a perfect Valentine's Day. I, also, wish he and Calah a loving day together. I hope they will not get caught up in the commercialized spending of a holiday but rather will cherish their love together....I'm privy to a few plans and I think they are going to have a romantic day spent together!

Feel free to leave your ideas for Valentine's Day in the comments....

Hope your day is filled with love.

No comments: