Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Pickle Ornament Tradition -- Materialism


Legend says that the pickle, a symbol of good luck, was the last ornament to be placed on the tree in Germany. The first child to find the pickle on Christmas morning was rewarded with a special blessing to begin the new year. The blessing would be an extra gift.

Redonia enjoys looking for our pickle ornament through out the season. It's usually hid several times. Of course the extra gift can be something of value or simply another stocking stuffer type gift. My children and their Daddy enjoy getting chocolate drinks in their stockings. One year the extra gift was simply another bottle of drink. One year when the kids were in high school I had a gift card for McDonalds, a favorite breakfast place, enroute to school.

Each year Kent and I purchase gifts for the full-time church staff. One year I included a pickle ornament and a small wrapped gift with the teacher's gift. I included the legend of the pickle ornament. I felt I was a part of each families Christmas morning since I provided not only the pickle but the reward for the person who found the hidden ornament. Still some of the staff talks about their fun each year with hiding the ornament. This year the Blair Family plans a twist on the pickle ornament. The children are going to hide the ornament for Mom and Dad to find.

The pickle ornaments can be found at most stores. They are found with the Old World style ornaments. This year I've seen them at all the major department stores. Target, Hobby Lobby, and Garden Ridge sells them, too. This is just another way of having fun with your family.

I am concerned that Christmas has become too comercialized. Christmas should be more than buying the latest video game, the most sought after doll, or the 'fastest' tennis shoes. Yes, I buy gifts for my family. When my children were little they always had nice Christmas gifts but we have always endeavored to make sure the gifts weren't the priority. Most of my children's growing up years we were in home missions. While the children were very blessed most years we were not able to afford the latest and greatest toys or gadgets.

One year we purchased Nintendo for the children. It was such a sacrifice. We bought a used monitor and even a few games from a pawn shop. Sure years later they upgraded to PlayStation but it wasn't a Christmas gift. Most years our Christmas was bought with money given to us from our church or church families. Some years the church gave us gifts rather than money. In those years Christmas was very lean. Did Redonia or Trent even realize it? No because Dad nor Mom made a big deal about it. Only a few years ago when Trent was 16 I went to Dollar Tree on Christmas Eve for a few more stocking stuffers. I felt Trent needed one more nice gift but we couldn't afford anything more. I begin to search Dollar Tree. Remember the gift would only cost $1.00. Much to my amazement I found sportscoats for $1.00. Trent got 2 more nice gifts. This was when 'retro' was popular. Trent thought he received a $100 gift. I remember standing in Dollar Tree being hugged by Kent hugged. We both had tears knowing God gave this Mother the desires of her heart. From that day to this I have never seen sportscoats at Dollar Tree. Kent nor I can recall the brand of the sportscoats but they were a real expensive name brand. God has always been faithful to us!

Today I sit in my recliner thinking of God's blessings. Since Thanksgiving Trent has received $950 above and beyond his salary. $50 was for a belated wedding gift, $200 from church families, some from a preaching engagement the weekend after Thanksgiving, and various places. I sit here with tears streaming remembering several Christmases as a teen that Trent would give of his resources to our church that may be struggling or a visiting minister. Once the Vyvial's preached for us in December. Trent felt compelled to give them $100. He was in high school and working part-time. I KNEW he really didn't have the $100 to give yet he gave. Several other years he would give extra so we could help others. Last week when his Dad handed him a check Trent said, "Dad I don't want to take this check form the church." With tears in his eyes he remembered that Christmas time around a a church is tight. Kent insisted Trent take the check. I didn't even realize the amount of extra $$$ Trent and Calah have received until yesterday. Deadra came into our office and begin to cry. She was telling of a conversation of gratitude she over heard Trent and Calah having. She said then Trent explained to her his many blessings.

Last week Trent asked me for a gift list. Of course I couldn't think of a single item. I told him I just wanted he and Calah to be blessed and for us all to be able to spend some quality time together in a few days. Deadra's report to me yesterday was my gift! I'm a blessed Mother. I'm glad my boy has grasped the meaning of Christmas. It is truly more blessed to give than to receive. I know his giving has brought his blessings. Some give out of obligation but I've observed Trent give out of love.

This year make Christmas what it should be -- a time of love and happiness. I believe if we endeavor to have the best Christmas ever God will make sure we have it! But remember I'm not talking about the best Christmas ever in terms of the most or latest and greatest.....

Merry Christmas to each and all and I mean 'merry' .....

1 comment:

Keith and Carla said...

This is a GREAT post!!! We can relate to some of your experiences, but like you, it wasn't really been all that lean of a Christmas, because God's blessings
outweighed it all.