Monday, December 1, 2008

Soup, Salad, & Dessert Nite

Since we had a deputizing home missionary family I decided they may enjoy a home setting as opposed to another restaurant. However, my sensitive thoughts didn't come until almost too late. I decided to have the ministry families of CUPC join us. Hence, I needed a quick and easy menu. I served 13 persons from my beautifully Christmas decorated tables. I used mugs for soup since they fit nicely on the dinner plates allowing room for salad & crackers.

Following is my menu. I doubled both the soup and salad recipe. I had enough soup left for a meal for our family. I had only a serving or so of salad left.

Easy Potato - Sausage Soup
1/2 lb. ground pork sausage
1 bag Ore Ida frozen diced hash brown potatoes
2 tablespoons minced onions
1 (141/2- oz) can Chicken Broth
1 (10 3/4 - oz) can Cream of Celery soup
1 (10 3/4 - oz) can Cream of Chicken soup
1 (103/4 - oz) can Cream of Mushroom soup
Shredded carrots for color
2 cups evaporated milk
2 cups water
salt and black peper to taste

Grated Cheddar Cheese for garnish

Brown Sausage in a large pot over medium heat, stirring until it crumbles and is no longer pink. Drain & return to pot. Add potatoes, salt, pepper, minced onions, carrots, and water to sausage. Bring to boil, cover and simmer 30 minutes. Stir in soups and milk. Cook stirring often until thoroughly heated. Garnish with cheese.

Mandarian Nut Salad
1 bag Spring Mix Salad
1 small can mandarian oranges, drained well
1/2 cup fresh blueberries, optional
3/4 cup glazed walnuts

Mix all ingredients well. Serve with raspberry vinagrette salad dressing, poppy seed dressing, or any other dressings.

Desserts
I chose a few simple desserts. These were arranged as a dessert buffet.

Pepperide Farm Coconut Cake (they are available in you grocery freezer) was garnished with peppermints. Often I garnish the same cake with twisted lemons, blueberries & mint leaves.

Strawberries and grapes were combined in a trifle dish. Chocolate Nutella was served as fruit dip.

Leftover candies were arranged nicely on a small Christmas platter.

The entire meal took less than 1 hr to prepare. Everyone enjoyed a festive time of being together. The greatest blessing was I did not labor in the kitchen so long that I couldn't enjoy our house guests. Everything was prepared prior to leaving for church. Once service was over I simply needed to warm the soup, fill the glasses, and place the food on the table.

Guests raved over the simple menu as I had served my delicious prime rib recipe. Once the kitchen was cleaned I was able to sit a moment and relax knowing Kent and I fulfilled scripture of being hospitable and had spread holiday cheer!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sis. Tracie,

Your Mom's recipe for the Turkey is awesome! It was very moist. This will become a tradition for my family. I was a little nervous about cooking it for an hour but wow! Everyone love it! Thanks for sharing.

Love ya
Beverly

Sis. Susan Roen said...

Seems to me I remember helping to make and freeze the WONDERFUL FROZEN PUNCH for Vicki´s wedding....or it might have been yours.....or both. Anyway, the recipe has been in my favorites since that wedding.....probably 20 years at least, can you believe???