Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Keep the Home Lookin' Warm

The Christmas decor is down and snuggly put away. The floors are clean, furniture dusted and order is brought back to the home. However, I like to keep a little holiday warmth around all the time.

I kept out a few red candlesticks to transition from Christmas to the next holiday. The tablecoth was removed from the table however the gold chargers remain. I removed the Christmas dishes and replaced them with the white dinner plates with a gold rim. I'm still using my red cloth napkins and gold flatware. The stemware is still at each place setting, too. The Christmas arrangement was removed and replaced with a tall crystal vase. I added a few glass marbles to the vase. Rather than stems in the vase I simply sat a rose ball. Then on either side of the vase I placed a red rose ball. The red candlesticks remain on the table. Then to finalize the array I sprinkled rose petals, a few flat glass marbles, and a few tiny red glass hearts. Yes, I'm ready now for Valentines!!! In the living room I sprinkled in a few valentine themed picture frames.


I was not quite ready for my 'normal' arrangement on my kitchen table either. There I left 2 red candlesticks and added a red footed bowl I inherited from Mamaw Ingram. I placed a few rose petals in the bowl and added a 3 or 4 inch white pillar candle. Yes, it's simple but the kitchen is ready, too.

Being Southern is being warm. I try to keep my home a warm and cozy place. I absolutely am not Victorian, I just can't be that sweet and warm! lol My drapes are deep shades of red with heavy trims. Both of my tables and chairs are mohagonny. They came with white cushioned chairs. That was a litle too bright for me. We recoverd the dining room in a deep gold/tan. The kitchen is a deep red with a deep gold print. All my furniture is deep mahoganny. While the color scheme is warm I feel warmth from adding holiday cheer through out the year.

A southern girl never needs a real reason to celebrate! I mean I LOVE birthday cake. Sometimes we get birthday cake jsut for dessert. Having a warm and inviting home just helps me feel better. Hopefully in a day or two I will sit back relax and enjoy my Valentine issue of Southern Lady and my newest copy of Reflection. I love both of these magazines.

I hope these tips will help inspire you, too!

Happy New Year....

3 comments:

Karen J. Hopper said...

Beautiful table arrangement. Looks so inviting.
Happy New Year's. Appreciate this great site. Know it takes lots of work but it is a blessing to so many.

Pastor R Kent Smith said...

Here I am with 50 plastic boxes of Christmas decorations to be carried up to the third story attic and here she is bringing down more stuff to decorate for Valentines...

Anonymous said...

Well, your dear ole mom next door is slowly but surely making a transistion next door. I will get there. I pulled my valentine things out and have bought a few more to add to it.
I love any reason to decorate or entertain.....I am so glad that all our kids do like all the holidays also......
By the way did you eat your cabbage and blackeyed peas today???
You don't have to answer because i know you didn't. Popsie and I did with a pork loin and sweet potatoes added to it... Vicki and Lauren came by and ate, well Vicki did you know Lauren doesn't eat anything but chicken strips.

Love you,
Mom